Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Image Essay 8: Images with Text


Many of the projects that we have done this semester have had text incorporated within them. For my first project that I incorporated text into was my three shapes three times but it didn’t work so well. Then in the paintings project we were to incorporate text along with using figure ground reversal, and instead of using my own handwriting I chose an actual font and it helped my piece. A person that does a good job at incorporating text into her pieces is Barbara Kruger. In her piece “ you are a captive audience” she uses an individualized text to convey her ideas. Her text for this picture somewhat already says what the meaning of the picture conveys on it own. With the picture alone it is the type when you look at it and you see that the man is in pain and one wants to look away but they can’t help but stare. This is what her text conveys. She knows that people are drawn to it so she decided to blatantly put he idea in her piece. It also helps that the words are restricted by a black box because it further illustrates the idea that the words are also a captive.

No comments: