Monday, April 16, 2007

Image Essay 3: Synesthesia


During week 3 we were working on the project 3 shapes 3 times. In this project we were working with the idea of synesthesia. Synesthesia is a neurological condition in which two or more bodily senses are coupled. In this piece by Beth Gilmore it clearly demonstrates the idea of synesthesia. When looking at this woman you can almost hear what she is playing. She is so focused on the keys that it looks as if she knows the piece by heart. This piece triggers a distant memory of mine from when I was little. When I was little my cousin was learning how to play the piano. So at any family get together he would play the piece that he was learning at the time. After a while it would get annoying and he would stop but now looking back he was actually quite good. When looking at this piece it reminds me of my cousin and the pieces that he used to play for us while at my Aunts house. This piece mainly focuses on the woman and how she is sitting rather than the fact that she is playing the piano. Bu I think that the fact that she is playing the piano plays a very significant role because it is what makes the piece a complete composition.

No comments: